Collections, Returned Checks & Holds

Collection Policy

Valdosta State University's policy is to request and accept payment in full in accordance with the Board of Regents Policy 7.3.3, the Board of Regents Business Procedures Manual chapter 10.0, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts Accounting Procedures Manual.

The University recognizes that circumstances may subsequently arise creating a balance due to the University. In effort to protect the financial interests of the institution and State, VSU follows Board of Regents Business Procedures Manual chapter 10.0. Student Financial Services staff will take additional appropriate and cost effective actions to minimize the number, financial amount, and past due status of delinquent accounts.

Generally, Student Account balances that are past due 180 days and Returned Checks (NSF) that are over 60 days will be turned over to the University’s Collection Agency.

Returned Checks

Any check payment issued to the University for payment of tuition and fees, housing and meals, parking fines, etc., or to be cashed for personal convenience must be paid upon presentation to the Bank on which they are drawn. Checks returned to the University as unpaid for any reason will be handled in accordance with the State Laws of Georgia.  This includes checks in any form, whether paper checks or electronic checks.

Upon receipt of a returned check, Student Financial Services will place a returned check hold on the student’s record. The official notice of a returned check will be sent via email to the student’s Valdosta State University email address as well as any other email addresses on record in the student’s Banner record.  The email will give specific instructions as to the form of payments that will be accepted to clear the returned check.  Any returned check that is not satisfactorily paid within the time frame given in the email notification may result in cancellation of the student's schedule.

Checks returned due to insufficient funds, closed account, stop payment, or other similar reason, will incur a returned check fee of $25 or 5% of the face amount of the check, whichever is greater. A hold for the returned check fee will also be placed on the student record.  

After three returned check violations on the student record, a 'Writes-No-Checks' hold will be placed on the student record, and personal check payments will no longer be accepted from the student.

Failure to tender payment in full for any returned check and applicable charges may result in the dishonored check being turned over to the Magistrate Court or to the District Attorney for further legal action.  


Financial holds on student accounts are the result of monies owed to VSU and can be generated from several areas on campus such as Parking & Transportation, Housing, Library and Student Financial Services. Financial holds will not allow students to register, graduate or receive official VSU documents (Transcripts, etc.) until all holds are paid. A student can review their account status and type of hold by visiting the Banner Registration website.

The most common type of financial hold handled by Student Financial Services is called a Student Accounts or B3 hold. These holds indicate that the Student’s Banner account does not have a -0- balance. Student Account holds are updated for the current semester approximately three weeks after the first day of class. Hold notices are sent weekly until the hold is paid or sent to the University’s Collection Agency.

Following is a list of holds generated by Student Financial Services with payment methods and locations indicated. 

Hold Type Description Payment Method Accepted
B1* Returned Check Cash, Cashiers Check or Money Order
B2* Returned Check Fee Cash, Cashiers Check or Money Order
B3 Student Account Financial Obligation < 120 days Cash, Check, Credit Card, Cashiers Check or Money Order to Student Financial Services at University Bursary
B4 Writes no Checks, recurring history of NSF checks – Checking Privileges Suspended  
B5 Account Balance prior to 1996 Cash, Cashiers Check or Money Order to Student Financial Services at University Bursary
B7 Delinquent Student Account > 120 days - Sent for Collections Cash, Cashiers Check or Money Order to Student Financial Services at University Bursary or University Collection Agency
B8 Summer Short Term Loan Promissory Note Contact Student Financial Services - Short Term Loans


If you have any questions, please email Jennifer Griffin  or call the University Bursary at 229-333-5725 or 1-800-618-1878 (option 6).