Freshmen Residency Requirement

First time, first year Freshmen are required to live on campus. (View Freshmen Residency Requirement for more information) Freshmen who desire to live off campus need to complete the Freshman Residency Exemption process. If you have already paid your deposit, you will also need to fulfill the Release of Contract process.

Under the following conditions, coupled with supporting documentation, we will exempt freshmen from the housing requirement:

  • Living with and commuting daily from the legal residence of a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent within a 50 mile driving distance from Valdosta State University (Parent Certificate- must be notarized and mailed in, there is a free Notary inside the Central Housing Office) PDF
  • Married- (Marriage License)
  • Single parent- (Child's Birth Certificate)
  • 20 years of age prior to September 1 of the academic year

All materials are due 30 days prior to the first day of classes of the term which the exemption is requested. You will receive a written reply from the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

If you continue as a VSU student, you will not receive a deposit refund and may be subject to a 50% buy out of the remaining portion of the contract. If you are not attending VSU, then your refund depends on the following deadlines which occur before the start of the contract:

  • On or before May 1- Full refund
  • May 2 to May 15- $200 refund
  • May 16 to May 31- $100 refund
  • After June 1- No refund

If you do not fall in one of the above categories and still would like to petition to live off campus, you must still follow the Freshman Residency Exemption process and the Release of Contract process (if deposit is paid). By pursuing the alternative method, you are initially denied because you do not fit in our typical conditions described previously. Once you receive your denial via email, you may submit an appeal to the Appeals Committee which meets once a month.

The appeal basis must be that an important circumstance in a student's personal, medical, or financial situation does not allow compliance with the residency or contract requirements. Such circumstances must be accompanied by substantial documentation including, but not limited to: tax records, court orders, physician's notarized diagnosis and recommendation on letterhead, insurance claims, etc. All supporting documentation is due no later than 10 business days before the committee meets. More Appeal Committee Information

>> I understand the above information and wish to apply for a freshman residency exemption.

How to Apply:

1. Log onto your Banner account from VSU homepage

  • The Banner link is an option under the Live @ VSTATE link pop-up menu
  • If you are having problems logging into your Banner account, contact the Registrar's Office at (229) 333-5727. If you have other questions or problems with Banner, click here or call the Help Desk at (229) 245-4357

2. Click Student and Financial Aid

3. Click Housing Contract Release/Freshmen Exemption(scroll down to the bottom of the page to submit the request