The MSW Application Review Committee takes a holistic approach to assessing applications. The following requirements should be met:
1. An undergraduate degree that has a liberal arts base
2. Prerequisite undergraduate courses with a grade of 'C' or better:
- Humanities - 6 hours
- Mathematics - 3 hours
- Social Sciences - 6 hours
- Additionally, courses with content in Human Development, Behavioral Science, or Human Biology are highly recommended.
3. Graduate Entrance Exam Scores (MAT or GRE):
- Applicants may elect to take either the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE).
- Applicants who take the MAT should receive a minimum score of 390.
- Applicants who take the GRE should receive a combined minimum score of 800 on the verbal and quantitative sections or a minimum score of 400 on verbal and a minimum score of 3.5 on the analytical sections or a minimum score of a 146 on verbal and a minimum score of 3.5 on the analytical sections, or a combined minimum score of 286 on the verbal and the quantitative sections.
- For additional information, see Testing Resources
4. Grade Point Average
- 3.0 Grade Point Average in the last two years of undergraduate major
- 2.5 Overall Grade Point Average
- 3.0 Grade Point Average is required if a Master's degree is used for application
Additionally, the following materials must be submitted for review:
6. Three Letters of Recommendation from people familiar with your work and/or academic history. Recommenders must also complete the MSW Recommendation Forms.
7. Transcripts from all schools you previously attended, even if you did not graduate from that institution.
**Academic credit will not be given for life experience or previous work experience.
Deadline for applications is January 14th of each year for Advanced Standing Admissions and February 14th of each year for Standard Admissions. Applications completed after the deadline will be considered on a space available basis. Admissions Frequently Asked Questions.
Health Science and Business Administration
Social Work Administrative Suite 2002
1500 N. Patterson Street
Valdosta, Georgia 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.