Appealing a Denial
If you wish to appeal a denial, please complete the form linked below. Please return it to the Graduate School office by mail or fax (229.245.3853). Be sure to include any supporting information. We encourage students to attach a letter explaining the reason behind their appeal and why they believe the decision should be reevaluated rather than using the small space provided on the form.
Instructions for Appealing:
1. You must initiate the appeal within 30 business days of the date of the denial letter. You can initiate the appeal by sending an email to the program coordinator indicating your desire to appeal the decision. We encourage applicants to discuss the reasons for their denial with the program coordinator. After that, you must submit the appeal form.
2.Print, complete, and submit appeal form to the Graduate School office. Be sure to include any supporting information (a letter explaining your circumstances, recommendations, new test scores, etc.) with the form.
3. Upon receipt, we will forward your documents to the appropriate department. Appeals begin with the academic department (who originally reviewed the file).
4. Once we send your appeal to the department, they will form a committee to review the appeal. If the decision is reversed, you will be contacted by the Graduate School by mail. If the decision is upheld, the department will contact you. Each department/college conducts their appeals process differently. Some colleges may have set Appeal Committee Meetings each month, so the timeline for receiving a decision varies by department.
5. If a resolution is not found at the departmental level, the next level of appeal is college level, which is followed by the Graduate School, if requested. After you have been notified of the decision at each level of appeal, you may contact the Graduate School and request that the appeal move to the next level. The Graduate School and academic departments will route the documents to the necessary offices.
6. If the appeal moves through the department and college levels and reaches the Graduate School Dean, you will be contacted by the Dean to discuss the appeal. The Dean will notify the applicant in writing of the final decision.
Appealing a Dismissal
If a student wishes to appeal a dismissal, please complete the form linked below. Please forward the completed form to the respective department; include any supporting documentation. We encourage students to attach a letter explaining the reason behind their appeal and why they believe the decision should be reevaluated rather than using the small space provided on the form. Students are asked to email the Graduate School that they are beginning the dismissal appeal process: firstname.lastname@example.org (attn: Teresa Williams), or fax a copy of the form to 229-245-3583.
Dismissal Appeal Form (updated Sept 13)
Graduate students who wish to appeal a dismissal must first discuss the issue with their professor. Further appeals are then directed, in order, to their professor's Department Head, college dean, and then the Dean of the Graduate School.
Appealing the 7-year Rule for Coursework
A student's advisor must send a memo to the Dean of the Graduate School requesting an extension. Include a brief justification. The student's transcript will be reviewed. The Dean will the respond with a memo to the advisor and cc: the Registrar's Office if the request is approved or denied.