Masters of Arts in Teaching in Music Education
- Total Credit Hours: 36
- Degree Format: Traditional
The MAT in Music Education is a full-time fifth-year program beyond the bachelor's degree in which candidates may earn a Masters of Arts in Teaching degree and become eligible for initial certification in Music Education after meeting all program requirements, passing the GACE at the Induction or Professional level, and earning a passing score on the edTPA certification portfolio. The curriculum is designed to produce graduates with exceptional content knowledge and pedagogical expertise who will engage, inspire, and educate P-12 students. The MAT in Music Education program provides preparation in pedagogy and necessary skills to perform as teachers in the P-12 environment. This program prepares students to document and assess student learning outcomes and to be conversant with innovative practices within the field.
The VSYOU Difference
In offering an innovative approach to preparing music educators, the MAT in Music Education will provide increased educational opportunities to meet the demands of residents in the southern region of Georgia. The shortened path to a graduate degree now totals five years of study rather than the typical 4(UG) + 2(G).
What You'll Learn
Effective techniques for fostering student learning music in P-12 schools.
Must meet all Graduate School requirements and hold a completed degree in Music from an accredited institution. Those not earning a BA in Music with the Education track from VSU, must meet all pre-requisite course requirements and pass a piano proficiency exam. In addition, applicants must present a GPA of 3.0 for all undergraduate work, complete a professional interview, and submit three professional letters of recommendation.
- Pre-requisites or exit/graduation requirements for transfer, BM Performance, or BA Music majors.
- EDUC 2120 or equivalent educational diversity course
- EDUC 2130 or PSYC 7010 Educational Psychology or equivalent educational psychology course
- SPEC 3000 or equivalent course
- MUE 3000 or EDUC 2110 or equivalent introduction to education course
- MUSC 3100 or equivalent orchestration course
- MUSC 3132 or piano proficiency exam
- MUE 3650 or equivalent beginning conducting course
MUE 7790 Clinical Practice in Music Education: A required full semester of full-time clinical practice in public school.
- P-12 Band Director
- P-12 Chorus Instructor
- P-12 Music
- 1500 N. Patterson St. Valdosta, Georgia 31698