A teacher candidate will be placed outside the VSU service area only under extreme extenuating circumstances. If a special placement site is needed outside the VSU service area, the student must complete a "Courtesy Placement Request" form (available in the Office of Field Experiences and Clinical Practice, College of Education and Human Services, Room 2030) explaining this special need and requesting approval.
Examples of valid reasons to request a courtesy placement include: when a spouse is unexpectedly transferred outside the VSU service area, illness in family, etc. Examples of invalid reasons to request a courtesy placement include: to save money, be near or in my hometown, marriage plans, possible job opportunities, etc.
The "Courtesy Placement Request" form must be submitted for approval to the department head of the student's major department. Special placements outside the VSU service area will require additional costs to the student. Courtesy placements will be made only if appropriate in-field supervision can be obtained for the teacher candidate. Additionally, students request a courtesy clinical practice placement must have demonstrated excellence in both their academic classes and field experiences. Generally, students with overall GPAs of less than 3.0 will not be considered for a courtesy placement.
Students from other institutions may occasionally request to complete their clinical practice/internship within the VSU service area; if this is the case, they may request that a VSU faculty member supervise their clinical practice/internship experience. The following guidelines apply:
1. The request for a courtesy placement must originate from the student’s home institution.
2. The appropriate representative from the student’s home institution must contact the Office of Field Experiences and Clinical Practice at (229) 249-2778 to make the request.
3. The department head of the department at VSU which would supervise the teacher candidate/intern must agree to accept the student for supervision. A number of factors enter into this decision: faculty availability, faculty loads, travel considerations, etc.
4. Students will register for clinical practice/internship credit through their home institutions. However, in cases where students request to transfer to VSU to complete their programs, they must meet VSU program requirements.
5. For a teacher candidate being supervised by VSU as a courtesy placement, there is a charge of up to $800. For an intern being supervised by VSU as a courtesy placement, there is a charge of up to $800 each semester. Checks made payable to Valdosta State University must be presented to the Office of Field Experiences and Clinical Practice at least one week prior to the beginning of the semester in which the clinical practice/internship will be completed.