Awards, Scholarships and Honors
In addition to the scholarships, awards, and financial aid VSU offers, English majors may also be eligible for departmental scholarships and awards. Also, undergraduate students have the opportunity to work as writing tutors in the Student Success Center. Graduate students may apply for graduate assistantships and teaching assistantships.
The Edward Vickers Academy of American Poets Award:
- Sponsored by the Academy of American Poets, awarded to a student currently enrolled. Second and third place may be awarded. All poems submitted to the literary magazine Odradek are eligible.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - XXXXXXXXXX 2011 - XXXXXXXXXX
Harold Gulliver Memorial Scholarship:
- Awarded to a liberal arts major who, as a sophomore or junior English major, has completed a minimum of nine hours of upper division course work in the Department while maintaining a minimum grade point average of 3.25 for departmental courses and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Consideration is given both to academic standing and to financial need. The scholarship is awarded for two semesters; the recipient's status is reviewed each semester.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - Jennifer Stakich & David Ellinburg 2011 - Benjamin McKinney
The Martha Wiseman McKey Award:
- Awarded to the senior English major with the highest cumulative grade point average who has completed at least 90 hours of course work and at least 60 hours of academic work at Valdosta State University.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - Kimberly Wright 2011 - Ashleigh Kenny
The Raymond Register Fiction Prize:
- Awarded to a student currently enrolled. $100 prize given in honor of former VSU professor of English. Second place or co-winners possible depending on annual judges' decision. All short stories submitted to Odradek are eligible.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - XXXXXXXXXX 2011 - XXXXXXXXXXX
The VSU English Graduate Scholarship:
- Awarded to the candidate for the Master of Arts in English who has completed at least nine hours of his or her course work in graduate English and linguistics courses, who has a 3.5 grade point average, and who has made consistent progress toward the degree.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - Mary Murphree 2011 - Rebecca Thorn
The VSU English Graduate Award:
- Awarded to the candidate for the Master of Arts in English who has completed at least 50 percent of his or her course work, who has a grade point average of 3.5 or better, and who has made consistent progress toward the degree.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - Rebecca Thorn 2011 - Kristy Singletary & Elaine Frieman
The VSU English Undergraduate Scholarship:
- Awarded to an undergraduate English major who has completed at least nine hours of upper-division course work in the Department, who has maintained a 3.5 grade point average in such course work, and who has made consistent progress towards the degree.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - Hannah Bessinger 2011 - Sara McCall
The Charles J. Miller Award For Journalistic Excellence:
- Awarded to the student most likely to succeed as a professional journalist.
- Previous Winners: 2012 - Stephanie Turner 2011 - Amy Johstono
For further information contact the English Department.