Housing & Residence Life Hopper Hall Valdosta, GA 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
- Student Resources
- Policies and Procedures
- Get Involved
Bring or Not to Bring
The following items are suggestions generated by students who have lived on campus in the past:
- Blanket, bedspreads, linens, towels, etc.
- Flashlight and batteries - in case of power outage (candles are prohibited).
- Alarm clock and/or clock radio. Personal hygiene items.
- Pens, pencils, paper, notebooks
- Posters and room decorations.
- Stereo and/or radio.
- Tapes, CD's.
- Small Television - basic cable is installed in each room.
- Small microwave - great for popcorn and reheating pizza.
- Compact refrigerator - max. 4.4 cubic ft.
- Plastic cups, plates, eating utensils.
- Dish pan, cloth, towel, and dishwashing liquid.
- Personal cleaning supplies - cleaners, broom, etc. Students are responsible for cleaning their rooms, and common areas.
- Desk lamp.
- Laundry bag, detergent.
- Sewing kit.
- Can opener.
- Surge Protector (UL 1449 rated).
- Rug- 9x12 is a good approximation for most rooms.
- Window curtains - Blinds are provided. Curtains must be hung with tension rods. Windows size vary with each building, we advise that you wait to purchase your curtains until after you arrive.
NOTE: Although most of these items are not "necessary," having some of them may allow you to personalize your room and make it feel like "home."
The following items are prohibited in the residence halls:
- Firearms, knives, air guns, martial arts weapons, paint ball guns or weapons of any kind.
- Candles, incense or any item that produces or has an open flame (tobacco items are excluded).
- Anything with an hot surface: broilers, toaster ovens, electric skillets, hot plates, George Foreman grills, space heaters, etc.
- Gasoline powered items in the building, such as motorcycles, mopeds, or parts thereof.
- Flammable and/or combustible items: fireworks, smoke bombs, sparklers, etc.
- Contact Paper.
- Duct Tape.
- Extension cords.
- Light dimmers, ceiling fans, or any other device that interferes with the electricity of the room.
- Weight lifting apparatus, such as barbells.
- Animals or pets except fish and service animals per federal law. The University reserves the right to limit the size of aquariums.
- Waterbeds and water furniture.
- Drug paraphernalia.
- 2.4 GHz cordless phones
- Wireless routers (Airports, Linksys, etc.)