Moving Service PoliciesMoving Service Procedures
- Requesting Service
- Oversized, Heavy Items
- Items which Need to be Dis-assembled and/or Moved by the Manufacturer
- Computers and Related Items
Moving Service Policies
Warehouse moving personnel work in unison with Central Receiving, Central Stores, Printing & Copying Services and the Property Inventory Supervisor to meet the delivery needs of the University. Requests for moving will be processed within the overall delivery needs of the campus. Larger moves and oversized items which based on the Warehouse manager's judgement are beyond the capabilities of the Warehouse staff will need to be contracted and funded by the department requesting the service. The Warehouse manager will help get the quotes and assist in supervising the move for these requests with the cooperation of the requesting department in identifying the parameters of the move and coordinating with the impacted staff of the department.Warehouse delivery personnel do not move personal items due to liability and legal concerns. The individual requiring moves of this nature must arrange the move. Departments can contact the Central Warehouse Manager at (2535), with any questions about this service.
It is essential for these categories of requests that the department and Warehouse manager work closely to coordinate each task. The following guidelines generally describe the relationship of duties for each part of the move:
- The department is to contact the Warehouse manager by email or Service Request form as soon as it is known a move will be required.
- If a department has staff to arrange the move and supervise the contractor then the Warehouse is not required to be involved. The department can contact the contractors VSU has arrangements with for these services to get the quotes, arrange payment method within Pcard or Purchase Order procedures, and complete the move.
- When the Warehouse is involved with the move the manager will work with the department to detail all aspects of the move such as which rooms, items, new locations, special precautions needed for specific items, timeline, and funding.
- The requesting department prepares the items for moving. Preparation includes packing items in boxes, taping the box securely closed, identifying the box with the specific room location for the box to be moved, arranging with a manufacturer to securely prepare or dis-assemble and re-assemble large items when the warranty or maintenance contracts require the manufacturer to be involved to prevent voiding the agreements. Equipment or furniture are to be identified with room location for the item to be moved,
- Warehouse personnel will not box/unbox items, place items on shelving, reconnect equipment, or dis-assemble/assemble modular furniture panel systems. If these services are required then the move will likely need to be contracted.
- Relocation points outside of Lowndes County will almost always be contracted.
- Emergency orders where life or property will be lost or damaged if moving is delayed are not subject to this policy.
- If a critical need develops please contact the Warehouse Manager at (2535).
As soon as a department knows a move will be required the Warehouse should be contacted by either a completed service request form to the Warehouse or an email to the Warehouse manager identified in the VSU directory. The cost is not required to be entered but general information such as approximately when the move will be made and the general scope of the move in terms of a building or department or single item.
- Oversized and Heavy Items:
Some large, bulky items might be beyond the safe ability of the Warehouse personnel to handle. The Warehouse manager will make this decision. Departments need to contact the manager as soon as the need is identified. This will allow sufficient time to consider various approaches to determine if the item can be moved with campus personnel. Time is also valuable to allow for contracting and funding decisions if that is the best solution.
- Items Requiring Manufacturer Dis-assembly or Moving:
In some situations a manufacturer will require that their staff move their equipment. This allows the warranty or existing maintenance agreement to be valid. The department is responsible both for identifying these situations and for working out pricing and payment terms with the company within the VSU Pcard and Purchasing procedures.
- Computers and Related Items:
Moving computer equipment and peripheral items needs to involve the VSU Department of Information Technology to disconnect and reconnect the items. The office might also decide to have its staff move the equipment. The department will coordinate the decision to determine when these items are not being moved by the Warehouse or contractor.