Accounts Payable FAQs

1. Where is the Accounts Payable & Travel Office Located? 
The Accounts Payable & Travel Office is located at Financial Services in University Center Building, entrance #5.  Our Office hours are 8:00am to 5:30pm Monday through Thursday and 8:00 to 3:00pm on Fridays.

2. Can an Accounts Payable check be issued to another department on campus? 
No, interdepartmental payments must be made via a journal entry or a Foundation check. Please contact us if you need assistance.

3. How many copies of documentation should be attached to the Request for Payment form? 
Documentation attached should be the original backup or invoice.  No additional copies are required.

4. Which form is used for travel reimbursement for a non-VSU employee or student, such as an interview candidate or student team travel? 
All payments to non-employees should be handled by the Purchasing Office.

5. What forms should I send to the Accounts Payable Office and what forms should I send to Purchasing?
All requisitions for purchase orders must be sent to Purchasing.  Only original invoices should be sent to the Accounts Payable Office for payment on a PO. 

6. If there is a Purchase Order, will an invoice need to be submitted with an Request for Payment form? 
To request a payment on a purchase order, please attached the original invoice to the Request for Payment form and route to the Accounts Payable and Travel Office. The Purchase Order number must be referenced on the invoice.

7. How do I get a vendor's Taxpayer Identification Number? 
You must ask the vendor using the Vendor Information Form. This is a common question for vendors and they should be able to provide the number with no difficulty.

8. What is the turn around time for an Accounts Payable Request for Payment? 
First, please verify with your department that the payment request has been forwarded to Accounts Payable. Once received in Financial Services, processing time is generally five (5) business days from the date of receipt.  Please be aware that the processing time can and will vary if a vendor is new to the University as well as during peak periods including month end closing. Checks are printed daily but must be confirmed with VSU’s banking partner prior to being released to prevent fraud.

9. How do I pay conference registration fees in advance of the conference? 
A traveler can pay the fee and be reimbursed on the online Expense Report. Also, the fee can be paid with the State of Georgia Purchasing Card. If the vendor will not accept the Purchasing Card, a request for payment can be submitted to the Accounts Payable and Travel office by completing a Prepaid Registration form. An approved Travel Authorization should be referenced.

10. How do I pay a Business for Services? 
Prior to any services being rendered a Vendor Information Form and a Purchase Order must be processed.  Once the services have been rendered then an invoice from the individual or business would be processed by the Accounts Payable Office via a Request for Payment form.
11. Why hasn’t an invoice been paid?
The most common reason that an invoice has not been paid is because Financial Services has not received the invoice.  Additionally, payment may be delayed if:

  • Department authorization is omitted
  • Supporting documentation(s) is not attached
  • The department’s expense account number is missing or incorrect OR the department's expense budget is insufficient
  • A Travel Authorization has not been approved (For Travel Reimbursement Only)

12. What is the status of my payment?  Can I check invoice/payment status online?
Travelers can now review the status of Expense Reports online via the PeopleSoft Expense Module through Employee Self Service.

On campus personnel can inquire about the status of an Accounts Payable payment request by submitting an email to the Accounts Payable office.

13. What are the meal reimbursement rates?
The current meal reimbursement rates for travel within the state of Georgia are listed below (must be gone 12 hours to be entitled to the per diem).  Meals for the first and last day of travel are reimbursable at 75%.

Meal Type

Regular Maximum Allowable

High Cost County Max. Allowable










Day total



High Cost Areas are limited to the following counties: Chatham, Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, Glynn, Richmond (Atlanta and Savannah)

For travel out side of the state of Georgia please refer to the federal per diem rates (the $5 incidentals is allowed)

Meals for the first and last day of travel are reimbursable at 75%.

14. Can I be reimbursed for airfare prior to travel?
Yes.  Submit an Expense Report using the Online Expense Module and submit the original receipt with a reference the Expense Report and Travel Authorization number.

15. What is the current mileage reimbursement rate?
The current mileage reimbursement rate is .575 cents per mile.

16. When am I reimbursed for gas?
Gas is reimbursed when a car is rented. Actual receipts are required. When a VSU vehicle is used, employees should use the State of Georgia Fuel Card.  

17. Why is my reimbursement less than what I submitted on my Travel Expense Statement?
There are several reasons for this, but the most common is that the amount requested is in excess of the amount approved on the Travel Authorization.  Additionally, your reimbursement may be reduced for the following:

  • Local taxes
  • Unallowable Meals
  • Mathematical error

18. How do I get reimbursed for money paid out-of-pocket for a visiting scholar?
An employee should never pay for another person’s expenses.  All expenses should be noted on the Cooperative Agreement/Purchase order for the Services.

19. How long does it take to get on Direct Deposit?
The average time for a Direct Deposit to pre-note is approximately 10 to 15 working days.

20. Are meal receipts required?

21. When is a Stop Payment placed on a check?
Accounts Payable will place a stop payment on a check when 10 business days have passed since the check was mailed.

23. Can I pay for items of a tangible nature with personal funds and get reimbursed?
This process is only allowable for emergencies not exceeding $50 through University Petty Cash Funds. A tax exemption certificate must be presented to the seller.  A tax exemption certificate can be obtained from the Accounting Director in Financial Services. Complete an expense report and turn in the original receipt to be reimbursed. 

24. What if a vendor does not accept the P-Card?
If a vendor does not accept the P-Card and the item is less than $100 you may use Petty Cash funds.  You may also use personal funds in an emergency situation and less than $50 (refer to question #23 if using personal funds). 

25. Why do I have to notify Warehouse that items on a Purchase Order have been received in the Department?
Items delivered to the ordering Department are not received in the Accounting system unless the Warehouse is notified.  This can result in payment delays to the vendor.

26. Why do I have to turn in original receipts?
An original receipt is always required per our auditors as it prevents duplication of payment. 

27. Why am I required to itemize my receipts?
State funds cannot be used to pay for certain expenses therefore it is necessary to identify the various charges on a receipt so that Accounts Payable can appropriately allocate the funds.