SOC 3510 Meacham
This webpage aims to connect you to resources to assist you in your research.
- Getting Started (video guide)
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page shows ways to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
- Locate books in the Odum Library
- Search for Library of Congress Subject Headings
- ILL (Inter-Library Loan)
- Odum Library subject guide for Education
Print Reference Materials
You will find print reference sources in both the main reference collection and the "reference alcove." Please ask the Reference Librarian on duty at the reference desk for assistance in finding materials.
Online Reference Sources
Finding Databases to search for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page.
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject to reach subject pages for VSU majors. For instance, you'll find links to many databases for English and Composition have links on the English subject page.
Is a Journal Peer-Reviewed?
- To check whether or not a journal is peer-reviewed, use: Ulrichs
Recommended Databases for Sociology
- Specific Sociological Databases
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- SocINDEX is an EBSCO database that provides access to a multitude of full-text sociology articles.
- Social Services Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts
- For both Sociological and Social Services Abstracts, be sure to check the citation for a "Full Text Linking" link before clicking on the "Find It" button. The "Find It" button does not recognize links outside of the database to full text.
- Sociological Collection
- Sociological Collection is a ProQuest sociology database with full-text articles.
- Social Science Research Network
- SSRN is an open-access database that provides abstracts for Social Sciences eJournals that cover over 400 different Social Sciences subject areas.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- General Databases
- Dissertations & Theses
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Help with getting articles full-text or in print
- American Factfinder
- U.S.Census Bureau
- Find Government Agencies
- Once you have a sense of which agencies are likely to handle which information (for instance, the Commerce department contains the Census department, and the Transportation department oversees bridges, roads, airline safety), browsing the list of agnecies can lead you to useful data. Look especially for links to statistics, reports, research, publications, and data. Most government agencies have a site devoted to statistics on topics of interest.
Search and/or Browse Government Sites:
- USA.gov Search millions of Web pages from the governments federal, state, District of Columbia, tribal, and U.S. territories.
- State Government Web Sites Visit each state's main government web site.
- Catalog of US. Government Publications Search for information about electronic and print publications from the U.S. government.
- FDsys From the Government Printing Office (GPO), search or browse for permanent digitized government publications, including the Code of Federal Regulations, the Federal Register, the U.S. Government Manual, the United States Code, and more.
In addition, the government provides many sites for specific information that you can easily find by adding the .gov domain to the subject. For example:
Other Skills and Resources