CSD 3010 Intro to Communication Disorders
Table of Contents
Library Website Help
- Getting Started (video)
- This video presents an introduction to the Odum Library webpage.
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page brings together every possible way to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
Search Techniques and Strategy
- Boolean, Truncation & Wildcards (guide)
- This guide will help you learn advanced searching techniques.
- Constructing a Search Strategy (guide)
- This guide takes the techniques described in the previous guide and helps you search more effectively with them.
- Getting Your Hands on the Articles (guide)
- This guide helps you find full text articles, even if they are not included in your specific database.
Using Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan allows you to request articles, books, and other materials from other libraries. You can use ILLiad, our online interlibrary loan system, to get articles in 2-5 days, or books in 2 weeks.
Journal Article Databases
Dissertations and Theses
- Academic Search Complete (at EBSCOhost)
- Academic Search Complete hosts a large amount of journals covering many different subject areas.
- Research Library (at ProQuest)
- Research Library is similar to Academic Search Complete, but with different journal holdings.
- JSTOR contains a great amount of journals and specializes in non-current articles.
Be sure to check out our subject guides on the Library Homepage, which have recommendations for more specialized databases. Click on "select subject" below "Articles by Subject" to get a list of subjects, and
These guides will help you distinguish between the different types of information sources, evaluate the sources you find, and present your information in a professional manner.
Types of Sources
- Primary vs. Secondary vs. Tertiary Sources (guide at Auburn University Libraries)
- Scholarly Journals vs. Trade Magazines vs. Popular Magazines (guide)
- Paraphrase: Write it in your own words (OWL at Purdue)
- Evaluating Sources of Information (OWL at Purdue)
- Annotated Bibliographies (OWL at Purdue)
Finding Books and Citation Help
- GIL Universal Catalog / GIL Express (guide)
- The GIL Universal Catalog allows you to search for library books across the University System of Georgia. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 2-5 days.
- WorldCat is a catalog for library holdings throughout the world. You can search for a particular book here and find detailed information about it, which you can then use for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) forms. While using this FirstSearch version of WorldCat, you can click on the "Find It" button within a record and then send WorldCat information to our ILL system automatically.
- Research & Documentation Online (from Diana Hacker and Bedford St. Martin's)
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Odum Library Citation Guides
- VSU Student Success Center
- The VSU Student Success Center can provide in-person assistance and tutoring for citation help.