COMM 1110 Nelson
This webpage connects you to resources to assist you in your research.
- Getting Started (video guide) - click on the library's slideshow/banner until you get to the video titled "Getting Started A tutorial on how to use Odum Library's homepage".
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page shows ways to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
Developing a Search Statement
- Constructing a Search Strategy (guide)
- Mapping Your Topic (guide)
- Boolean, Truncation & Wildcard (guide)
Finding Books and eBooks
- GIL-Find@VSU—searches for books and other materials by keyword, title, author, subject, and other fields.
- GIL-Find Tutorial (guide)
- GIL Universal Catalog—expands the GIL-FIND@VSU catalog to search for and request books from all University System of Georgia libraries. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 3-6 days.
- GIL Express (guide)
- eBooks (guide)
Print Reference Materials
You will find print reference sources in both the main reference collection and the "reference alcove." Please ask the Reference Librarian on duty at the reference desk for assistance in finding materials.
An example of a print reference resource
Online Reference Sources
An example of an online reference resource (Gale Virtual Reference Library)
Using Discover Galileo (guide)
Finding Databases to search for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page (www.valdosta.edu/library/).
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop-down menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject to reach subject pages for VSU majors.
Recommended Databases for finding articles about current issues
- Academic Search Complete (various subjects, some peer-reviewed and full text)
- Research Library (at ProQuest) (various subjects, some peer-reviewed and full text)
- JSTOR (full text journal articles, 2006 and earlier)
- ProQuest Newspapers (good news coverage; not peer reviewed)
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Help with getting articles full-text or in print
Other Skills and Resources
- Scholarly vs Trade Magazines vs Popular Magazines (guide)
- Evaluating Journal Articles (guide)
- Peer Review (guide)
- Paraphrase: Write it in your own words (guide at The OWL at Purdue)
- Evaluating Sources of Information (guide at The OWL at Purdue)
- Avoiding Plagiarism and Mastering the Art of Scholarship (University of California, Davis)
- Avoiding Plagiarism (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- A short video about Plagiarism (and its unpleasant consequences)