Can I travel while I'm in the program? How is the program organized?

Yes. On our four and five week programs students will meet in the classroom on Monday and Wednesday, attend mandatory field trips in the city on Tuesday and Thursday, and will be able to enjoy three-day weekends for personal travel.  Some programs may schedule required field trips during the first or final weekend in the host country and some sites may offer optional excursions organized by the program for an additional cost. Students are free to make their own travel arrangements so long as they do not conflict with scheduled classes and field trips. Students are required to inform program directors of all travel arrangements prior to leaving.

Free and half days have been built into our shorter programs. Your program director will inform you of your free days during the mandatory April orientation.

Back to Top

Where do I make my payments?

Tuition should be paid to your home institution, just as it is for on-campus study. Program fees should be made on-line with credit/debit cards or Webchecks.  You can get to the on-line pay center from your program homepage by clicking the "Pay Now" link.

Back to Top

When will I know if I've been accepted?

Applications for EC programs have two parts.  Part I is to complete the application form available on the EC website.  It must be signed by your campus representative who will then pass it on to the EC office.  Part II of the application process is to pay your $300 non-refundable application fee using the online pay system through the EC website's "Pay Now" links. Applications will not be processed by the EC office until both parts (the form and the fee) have been received in the EC office.  

Upon receipt of both parts of the application you should expect an acceptance email with an attached booklet with program information, including due dates and details on what is expected of participating students.

If you do not receive notice in a timely manner from the EC office please feel free to contact your campus representative or the EC office to insure that you are not missing one or both parts of your application.  

Back to Top

Can out-of-state students, and students of private institutions participate?

Yes, students from institutions that are not members of the European Council or are out of state can participate as transient students through Valdosta State University.  Please contact European Council Coordinator Beverly Vantine for more information.

Beverly Vantine



Back to Top

What are the requirements to study abroad with the European Council?

All participants must be in good academic standing with their home institution, have approval of their campus representative, and must be enrolled at a participating institution.

 Back to Top

If I don't speak a foreign language, can I still study abroad?

Yes. The European Council offers all of its courses in English except for foreign language classes.

Back to Top

Will I need a visa to go abroad? Will I need shots and special medicine?

Everyone who travels abroad needs a passport. If you are an American citizen participating on one of summer programs, you do NOT need a Visa unless you're participating in the Russia program. If you will be abroad for longer than 8 weeks or are a non-US citizen, then please contact your campus representative for additional assistance. 

The European Council does not require any additional shots; however, you should consult your individual physician to receive medical advice about travel.

Back to Top

Are our study abroad programs safe?

We carefully consider safety when planning programs and we evaluate each program annually. You should look at the U.S. State Department website for safety information about a particular country. All of the European Council programs operate in countries that the State Department considers safe for U.S. visitors.

Back to Top

How much does study abroad cost?

All programs are vary in price, so you can look at the individual program sites. The programs fees do not include tuition because you will register for courses and pay tuition at your home campus. It is estimated that students should budget $200/week for meals not included in the program and an additional $200/week for spending money. When considering how much extra money to bring, please consider the exchange rate. 

 Back to Top

How do I know that the classes I take while abroad will count towards my degree?

Only the study abroad or academic advisor on your home campus can tell you exactly how the classes will count towards your degree. You should schedule an appointment with your campus representative talk to him or her about this.  Each campus will assign their own equivalency to each course so it is important to communicate with your campus representative about the credit you will receive on EC programs. 

 Back to Top

How do I register for classes?

Normally you will register for classes on your home campus if you are a student in the University System of Georgia. This process is separate from your application for the program. Once you have designated your course selection(s) on your study abroad program application, and the European Council office has received the application, you will still need to ensure that you are registered for classes at your home campus. Make sure that you discuss this with your European Council representative.

 Back to Top

Are there scholarships available for study abroad?

You should visit the financial aid and international education offices on your home campus for information about institutional scholarships that are offered for study abroad.

Below are other useful websites for scholarship possibilities and ideas for fundraisers: 

Back to Top

Can I use my financial aid or HOPE towards the cost of my trip?

Yes, all financial aid can be applied toward study abroad. You will need to visit your financial aid office on your home campus to talk about your individual circumstances.

Back to Top

I want to study abroad, what do I do next?

Visit your European Council campus representative on your home campus. They will give you any forms you need and the information you want. You should consider how the various program will help you to achieve your personal, academic and professional goals. You may want to consult past student and faculty participants as well as your study abroad adviser and academic adviser. Then you can make an informed decision about which experience is right for you. It is worth remembering that the European Council study abroad programs are reviewed annually by the member institutions, and we have been offering study abroad programs to USG students for more than a decade.

 Back to Top