Graduate Faculty Advising Resources
Academic Honesty & Plagiarism
Valdosta State University now has a new resource available for you to report incidents of student misconduct, including Academic Integrity violations. The link to this reporting mechanism is available at the Student Conduct Office, on the Faculty Resources site at Academic Affairs, and on the Academic Honesty webpage.
GRADUATE STUDENT APPEALS
Grade appeals are handled at the Departmental and College levels. Students first contact instructors responsible for assigning the grade or department heads to initiate the appeals process. (Depts utilize the University's Grade Appeal form.)
- If students are denied admission to graduate school or dismissed from their programs, please direct them to the following web site for appropriate appeals forms: click here.
- OPTIONS - If Dismissed or Issued a Warning/Deficiency Point Letter (PDF)
GRADUATE STUDENT WRITING RESOURCES - Dissertation Dive In and other writing tools.
LETTERS OF GOOD STANDING (LoGS) - Transfer Credit Requests
What if your advisee wants to take a course at another institution and transfer it to VSU?
(Please note that graduate students who seek transfer credit should consult with their advisor to see if a course is appropriate for transfer credit, and to determine how many hours can be transferred based upon the policies of a given program.)
The student must be a "degree-seeking" graduate student
- The request must be initiated by the advisor (not the student) through the online LoGS request form
- Include student's name, ID, institution address, course to be taken
- After completing the course the student must request that a transcript (showing the final grade) be sent to VSU Graduate School
- Consult with advisors or the Graduate School regarding how many hours can transfer
- Graduate students do not use Transient Permission forms issued by the Registrar's Office
Requests for Extension of 7-Year Rule (course age extension)
A student's advisor must send a memo to the Dean of the Graduate School requesting an extension. Include a brief justification. Please include student's ID number. The student's transcript will be reviewed - the Dean will then respond with a memo to the advisor and cc: the Registrar's Office if the request is approved or denied.
Enrollment By Undergraduates
A student with senior standing at Valdosta State University, with an overall academic grade-point average of 3.0 or better, may register for graduate courses during the final two semesters of undergraduate work under the following conditions:
- No more than a total of 9 semester hours may be taken for graduate credit, and no more than 6 semester hours of graduate work may be taken in a given semester.
- A student registering for one or more graduate courses is limited to the normal graduate academic course load of 12 semester hours per semester.
- Permission for a student to take graduate courses under this provision is granted only by the Dean of the Graduate School upon recommendation of the student’s advisor.
- To request permission, the student’s advisor must submit a request to the Dean of the Graduate School on behalf of the student. The request should contain the student’s full name, student ID number, and verification that the student meets all requirements outlined, and a brief justification for the request.
- Permission must be obtained for each semester in which the student desires to take graduate courses. Once permission is granted, the academic department must manually place the undergraduate into the approved graduate-level courses.
- Deficiency points will apply if graduate courses taken by undergraduates are counted toward graduate degree requirements.
Program of Study Forms
An embedded Excel spreadsheet can be accessed and modified endlessly by double clicking on it. The form itself is a Word document. Each department/program can modify language on the form to fit its needs.
- Applying for Graduation (Print and complete, or pick up packet from the Registrar's Office. Submit completed apps to Registrar's Office, not the Graduate School.)
- Wanting to walk early? Click here for early walk procedures (apps available in the Registrar's Office)
- Commencement Information
Handbooks & GuidesMany forms are in PDF format. To update your PDF software click below:
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA. 31698
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 3 PM
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698