103 E. Brookwood Place
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Prior Learning Assessment
PLA: earn credit for what you know
In keeping with the mission of VSU, the university has adopted Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) standards to assist students in identifying and evaluating learning they have acquired outside the traditional college classroom for possible college credit.
Prior learning is learning gained through life or work. Many people learn through their experiences in life such as those in
- professional endeavors (through business, the military, or other work and training experiences); or other
- educational experiences (through community work, family, travel, or personal study).
The PLA process guides students as they
- identify areas of relevant learning from past experiences,
- demonstrate learning through appropriate documentation,
- submit materials for assessment, and
- possibly gain academic credit relative to specific VSU course objectives.
For more information about the PLA process, eligible courses and the PLA 2000 Documentation Course, go to the Prior Learning Assessment Portal.
You may also contact us by email at AMP@valdosta.edu, by phone at 229-253-2873, or come by our office at 103 Brookwood Place on the VSU campus. The office is open Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., and on Friday, 8 a.m. until 3 p.m.